So it’s been said over and over again that the science of Star Trek has influenced modern tech especially the cell phone. This morning while drinking my coffee going over the morning news, I stumbled across something that sent my inner child into complete bliss. What could do this you ask ? Why none other than the Classic Star Trek communicator. If you grew up watching the original series you probably fascinated about being on an away team on an alien planet with the crew or even took on the roles of the main crew of the Enterprise or daydreamed about being your own Star Fleet captain. You always had to have a communicator to talk to the Enterprise to get Scotty to beam you out of a bad situation. Even as an adult I used the Motorola Razor as an impromptu communicator, now no more impromptu communicators for me, now that I can have the real thing. The communicator operates on Bluetooth technology and retails for 149.99 USD. But here is the actual tech specs.
- First fully-functional wireless Star Trek communicator
- Officially-licensed Star Trek merchandise
- Pairs with Bluetooth®-enabled phones
- Authentic flip-to-answer action
- Designed using structured-light 3D scans taken of the alpha hero prop
- Includes 20 authentic sound effects and crew voice clips from the Star Trek universe
- Wireless Range: 32 ft.
- Driver: 36mm speaker
- Speaker allows for hands-free calls or playing music
- High-quality MEMS microphone
- Does not have to be paired to use as a prop that chirps and plays sound clips
- Materials: Combination of pressed metal, die-cast metal, machined aluminum, and textured ABS with die-cast zinc stand
- Batteries: Built-in lithium polymer (normal use, lasts days on a single charge)
- Charges in 4 hours using included micro-USB cable
- Illuminated magnetic stand supports contactless charging, reads “U.S.S. Enterprise Standard Issue Communicator”
- Dimensions: 4″ tall (closed) or 7″ tall (open) x 2 3/4″ wide x 1 1/2″ thick
- Weight: 5 oz.
- Includes communicator, stand, case, leatherette carrying pouch, and micro-USB to USB charging cable
From what I can tell this is top notch quality on the construction of the device and I for one can’t wait to get my hands on one!